Hey girlies! I had another go at baking the weekend and made this Carrot Cake for my Father-in-law ♥ to be, it went down a storm. I think if I was to make it again I think would only make it 2 layers deep and maybe use the rest for cupcakes or something, it was a big cake!
350g light soft brown sugar
3 large eggs
350ml sunflower oil
350g plain flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
2tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ground ginger
350g peeled and grated
75g finely chopped walnuts or raisins
For the icing
200g icing sugar
10-15 ml (2-3tsp) freshly squeezed orange juice
65g unsalted butter, softened
¾tsp finely grated rind unwaxed orange
You will also need
3 x 20cm/8in cake tins
Special Thanks to Darren for making the icing and decorating the top =D
1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC/Fan 150ºC/325ºF/gas mark 3.
2. Lightly oil three sandwich tins and base line with baking parchment.
3. Place the sugar, oil, and eggs in a large bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth and thickened. Sift over the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and ginger then fold in until well mixed. Fold in the carrots and walnuts or raisins.
4. Divide the mixture between the prepared cake tins. Bake in the middle of the oven for 30-35 mins or until golden, risen and the middle bounces back when lightly pressed. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. For the icing: Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl, add the soft butter, orange juice and rind. Use an electric whisk on low, to beat this until it is well mixed.
6. When the cakes are cold, peel away the baking parchment. Divide the icing between the three cakes, spreading it evenly over the top of each. Stack the cakes one on top of the other. Top with the walnut halves and orange rind curls. Store in a cool place.
We were a little impatient with icing this cake and Darren ♥ was rushing me a bit because we had to get it round there quick. The cakes were still warm and the icing was melting slightly but it still looked good and tasted good so that’s all that matters.
I should have taken some home for me and Darren ♥ but it was baked for Dad ♥ so it was only fair I had to leave it. Look out for my next installment in the baking series!